PDA

View Full Version : Laptop will not recognise printer

anonymous
01-06-2008, 19:55
Hi, I am setting up my new Acer Extensa 4220 laptop, due to the previous one having terminal motherboard failure. I am now trying to install a HPpsc2170 series printer, but the computer refuses to PnP, and it suggests that I plug the printer into an LPT port, which my laptop does not have, the computer does Not recognise the printer being plugged into any usb2 port. I have in and uninstalled the printer via the disc that it came with to no avail. Can anyone shed light on this please, the laptop is running XP and not a week old yet !!!!!!!

01-06-2008, 20:40
Does the laptop recognise other peripherals plugged into a USB port, for example a USB Flash Drive?

If so, have you run the installation software to the point where it tells you to plug in the PSC printer? You should actually be able to install the software without the printer being attached and by default it will use an LPT port. When you subsequently plug in the printer, it should change from the LPT port to a USB Virtual Printer Port.

ianrj
01-06-2008, 23:10
Try downloading the latest printer installation program from the HP website. Your disc is probably way out of date.

anne r
02-06-2008, 00:53
Might be something helpful here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=90806&dlc=en

The latest driver software for your model (for XP) is 2004 so you may well have the correct drivers anyway.

There is also a little auto tool you can run at the top of that page, see "Automatically check to see if latest driver is installed correctly".

When you first begin to set up this printer you have to first install cd software, THEN plug in the usb cable only when prompted on-screen.

Before connecting the all-in one make sure it is plugged in and powered on.

Anne

anonymous
03-06-2008, 10:16
Sorted it myself, by going to HP support page, and going through fault diagnosis pages for my specific printer.
www.hp.com/support

03-06-2008, 11:32
It might be helpful to others with a similar problem to know what the solution was. ;)