PDA

View Full Version : Google

SilSuf
19-01-2009, 12:44
I have been using Google as my search engine. Usually there was a green tick beside the safe sites to visit and a red warning if the site was a threat. I appear to have lost this facility. I have no idea why as I really liked this warning. Anyone know the reason why it has disappeared and how I can get it back. Thanks

graham ellison
19-01-2009, 13:04
I guess you had McAfee SiteAdvisor installed, did you?

You can get it here

http://uk.mcafee.com/root/catalog.asp?catid=free

Graham :)

SilSuf
19-01-2009, 13:53
No I haven't installed anything.

dave.m
19-01-2009, 16:17
The only time I have had green and red markers against sites in a search list was when McAfee Site Advisor was installed.

Google do not mark sites themselves in their search results list, as far as I know.

There is no setting in Google Search Help:
http://www.google.com/support/websearch/?ctx=web

dave

dave.m
19-01-2009, 16:20
If you cannot find it then try McAfee as linked to by Graham, and see if they are the same indications that went missing. If so, it could have been installed automatically on the back of a browser update.
What system and browser do you have installed?
dave

SilSuf
20-01-2009, 11:55
A few weeks ago, I took my computer to have it looked at as my AVG (free edition) was showing that my firewall was not turned on. I tried to rectify this to no avail. Wouldn't even allow me to uninstall and reinstall. Computer was wiped of all my AVG attempts and this reinstalled as well as installing SuperAntispyware. I also have Windows Defender.

As my memory was low he also upgraded this too and my computer has been running fantastic since this. Wish I could do same with my memory!!

I just miss those wee ticks telling me it is safe to use a site. I have IE. Does all this make sense?

graham ellison
20-01-2009, 11:59
The obvious solution is to install SiteAdvisor.

SilSuf
20-01-2009, 12:30
Thanks, will try that.

SilSuf
20-01-2009, 12:39
Installed SiteAdvisor. Brilliant, I have got my wee green ticks back. One happy silver surfer !

Message was edited by: SilSuf

graham ellison
20-01-2009, 12:55
Great, glad you're sorted.