PDA

View Full Version : PC Clock error

LorryOil
30-11-2009, 12:35
The clock on my PC is running about three minutes slow. I try ‘Date & Time’ > ‘Internet Time’ > ‘Change settings’ > ‘Update now’ [OK] and I get the message: -
This computer is set to automatically synchronize with ‘time.windows.com’.

Next synchronization: (Date and time)

An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.windows.com. This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

The clock was most recently synchronized on (Same Time. Same Date plus seven days).
My OS is Windows 7, I have an internet connection speed in the region of 6Mbps which, whilst not brilliant, is quite adequate for time update. Time update worked fine when my OS was Vista.
I tried looking in Control Panel but only get the same dialogue box that I get from the desktop. Ideally, I would like to disable the Windows time update altogether so that I can use my preferred time update utility Dimension 4.

I’d appreciate any suggestions.

LorryOil

calimanco
30-11-2009, 12:41
Try changing the bios battery. It may be getting to the end of its life. Remember to reset the time and your bios preferences afterwards.

LorryOil
30-11-2009, 13:21
Try changing the bios battery. It may be getting to the end of its life. Remember to reset the time and your bios preferences afterwards.

Calimanco, thanks for the suggestion, in this case that's not the problem, the battery's fine.
This PC is less than a year old, if it's battery was expiring I'd be worried! (I do appreciate that batteries could have a manufacturing fault, but these days those are very few and far between)
If it were the battery the clock would be reset back to the original time and date of the BIOS (I think) each time I boot up. But this is just the cumulative error of the PC's clock.

LorryOil

calimanco
30-11-2009, 14:00
Have you checked the bios clock settings?

robert clayton
30-11-2009, 16:32
Windows.com is usless in Europe.

Try "uk.pool.ntp.org" as the server

Bob

accordion
30-11-2009, 17:55
Or you could use this one: ntp.cs.strath.ac.uk

Dave

LorryOil
30-11-2009, 23:59
Guys, this is the part of my original question where the problem lies: -
An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.windows.com.
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

And this is the part with which I would like some help: -
Ideally, I would like to disable the Windows time update altogether
so that I can use my preferred time update utility Dimension 4.

LorryOil.

jack hackett
01-12-2009, 01:03
Ideally, I would like to disable the Windows time update altogether Turn off the Windows Time Service then

Thegreenwire
01-12-2009, 02:53
The clock on my PC is running about three minutes slow. I try ‘Date & Time’ > ‘Internet Time’ > ‘Change settings’ > ‘Update now’ [OK] and I get the message: -

My OS is Windows 7, I have an internet connection speed in the region of 6Mbps which, whilst not brilliant, is quite adequate for time update. Time update worked fine when my OS was Vista.
I tried looking in Control Panel but only get the same dialogue box that I get from the desktop. Ideally, I would like to disable the Windows time update altogether so that I can use my preferred time update utility Dimension 4.

I’d appreciate any suggestions.

LorryOil hmm... become less fixated with the time? Is your life so busy that 3 minutes is critical? I can only think that you bait us sir with simple quizzes.

Will it be that your internet packets are stuck next?

If I misrepresent you in my comments, please accept my apologies. I can only suggest, failing all else, that you click on the time in the lower section of the computer screen and adjust the time manually, after checking with the shipping forecast first.

accordion
01-12-2009, 08:08
Even if you use your preferred utility, you will still have problems with synchronization unless you change the time server to one of those suggested.

Dave

LorryOil
01-12-2009, 11:08
Jack: I wouldn't have asked for help in the first place if I could find how to turn off the Windows Time Service. I thought that was what I was asking, I'm sorry I didn't make that clear.

The green wire: Yes I could do it manually... the expression 'Why have a dog and bark yourself' comes to mind. When it comes to time, I have better things to do with mine than waste it, and that of others who take these forums seriously, by 'bating'.

Dave, I tried all the URLs in the Windows' default list, I tried both that were suggested in this thread. (Thank you and Bob) An error still occurs, the timeout period still expires.

LorryOil.

accordion
01-12-2009, 12:30
Is your firewall blocking it Larryoil?

Dave

LorryOil
01-12-2009, 12:42
Is your firewall blocking it Larryoil?

Dave

Possible I suppose Dave, but unlikely, everything else gets through.
The settings are the same as they were, and the router's not changed since I switched to Win.7

LorryOil.

(LorryOil: 'Because I'm worth it' )

:)

accordion
01-12-2009, 13:34
You should at least try turning the firewall off to prove it.

LorryOil
01-12-2009, 13:58
Is that wise ?

LorryOil
01-12-2009, 14:15
You should at least try turning the firewall off to prove it. I tried it anyway and the time updated correctly !
Further investigation showed that communication with the internet time synchronisation was specifically switched off in there. My guess would be that since it was labelled 'Disable Windows time synchronisation' I'd tried to do just that, which is what I really want to do.

Thanks Dave, at least the sync. is back on, it's been bugging me for a while.

LorryOil.

LorryOil
01-12-2009, 14:25
Hmmm... Fix one problem, fix the lot!

I just discovered where to disable the Windows time synchronisation !
I knew I was blind, but didn't realise I was THAT blind !

Now my clock will synchronise every time I boot up and won't bug me any more.

Thanks for all your help guys... especially Dave.

LorryOil

(Happy bunny) :)

accordion
01-12-2009, 18:26
Always good to have a happy bunny.

Dave