PDA

View Full Version : Burning using Brasero

milan
23-12-2009, 15:03
I am still having trouble trying to burn various files using Brasero, the disc burning program. So far I am having no luck.
I am getting the error message: “Error while burning”
“An unknown error occured”
And it gives me a window to open to view the error report. Part of which lists track number x. But I've not been trying to burn audio tracks, but image files.

I have since been reading the back of the discs I bought for burning, which at the time I thought I was buying a good brand, SONY's 4.7GB/120min DVD-R 1X-16x compatible.

On the back of the pack was a slip of paper, (of which I've just noticed), which says in small print :
“Caution : Please read before using. This disc is a new standard-high speed media-in conformity with DVD-R for general Version 2.1 /16x- SPEED DVD-R Reversion 6.0” etc.etc. And yet another part, in larger writing says: “Wide Compatibility / Fast Addressing etc.”, which is probably what I did read thinking that it would be OK. I'm wondering if this is why I am getting these error messages. Can anybody give me an idea as to what I should be looking for when I purchase future discs? I'm new to all this “burning” stuff.

Since writing the above, I have been able to burn to a different make of disc, a Philips 4.7GB 1-2x SPEED. So maybe the SONY “new standard”, was to blame?

However, when I say I have been able to burn various files to this Philips disc, I must say it is not as straight forward as the “Help” files suggest, of which they don't explain fully what you need to do. For instance, each time I wanted to copy new files to the disc, I seem to have to copy previous “sessions” in-addition to my new files or else I lose the previously saved files. I was expecting to see previous saved files in folders saved to the disc, and simply create a new folder into which I would save my new files.

It seems to me that Brasero is geared up to burning very large files e.g. video, or a full audio CD, but not for adding small files now and then. Or am I missing something not explained in the “Help” files?
Any suggestions would be apreciated.:(
Milan

vangraaf
23-12-2009, 16:30
The "Help" files in Brasero are practically worthless. When you`re burning files, it should automatically start "burnproof" which in the main eliminates useless "coasters".
As regards the Sony discs, they should be ok. There is a way of finding out the dye used, different dyes have different characteristics, some good some bad. From memory I think Sony used their own dye. I use +r discs and I have very little trouble.
I`ve never tried adding files in different sessions, so I`m no use there. I suppose I`ll have to have a go sometime. It appears there is a multisession option, when burning to disc.
http://projects.gnome.org/brasero/screenshots.html

Others on here will suggest K3B, which is a good option.
Don`t know how much use this is to you

penguin
23-12-2009, 18:51
What make/model dvd writer do you have?
If it's reasonably old there's a good chance that it will not be compatible with 16x blanks.

vangraaf
23-12-2009, 19:28
> If it's reasonably old there's a good chance that it will not be compatible with 16x blanks.

Agreed, but if Burnproof is enabled won`t it burn it at the speed that the writer is capable of?

reactiv8
24-12-2009, 14:27
I am getting the error message: “Error while burning”
“An unknown error occured”

Milan,

I've seen this too using Brasero to burn large image files to DVD ... However, when I checked the disk the files were all there! ...

Chris. ;)

penguin
24-12-2009, 18:33
> If it's reasonably old there's a good chance that it will not be compatible with 16x blanks.

Agreed, but if Burnproof is enabled won`t it burn it at the speed that the writer is capable of?

No idea.
All I know is that my old 8x dvd writer will just not write to a 16x blank.

vangraaf
25-12-2009, 16:46
Milan,
Just found this on the SVP site

"DVD+R is a format for optical data storage. DVD+R discs have 4.7 GB or 4.377 GiB (DVD-R has 4.382 GiB) of storage capacity (more precisely, 2295104 sectors of 2048 bytes each). Unlike DVD+RW discs, DVD+R discs can only be written to once. Because of this, DVD+R discs are suited to applications such as nonvolatile data storage, audio, or video. This can cause confusion because the DVD+RW Alliance logo is a stylized "RW". Thus, a DVD+R disc can have the RW logo, but it is not rewritable.

The DVD+R format is divergent from the DVD-R format. Hybrid drives that can handle both, often labeled "DVD±RW", are very popular since there is not a single standard for recordable DVDs. There are a number of significant technical differences between the "dash" (it's not a minus symbol) and the "plus" format, although most users would not notice the difference. One example is the DVD+R style ADIP (ADdress In Pregroove) system of tracking and speed control being less susceptible to interference and error which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds than the LPP (Land Pre Pit) system used by DVD-R. In addition, DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media independent of the quality of the media. Additional session linking methods are more accurate with DVD+R(W) versus DVD-R(W), resulting in fewer damaged or unusable discs due to buffer under-run and multi-session disks with fewer PI/PO errors.

Like other "plus" media, it is possible to change the book type to increase the compatibility of DVD+R media. This is also known as bitsetting."

Does it makes any sense to you?

milan
06-01-2010, 16:04
Thanks for all the advice given. Sorry it took so long to reply, what with it being Christmas/ New year . I have to get on line at the library and with the weather here in England not being too good i have been staying in.
But i have taken all the advice and i suppose it is a case of practice and learn. Still, vangraaf nice to know that it's not just me who has trouble with these so called "help" files.

Penguin i don't know what make and model my DVD drive is. Will find out and get back to you.

All the best to you all in the New Year. http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/images/icons/icon14.gif
Milan

milan
06-01-2010, 16:26
Milan,
Just found this on the SVP site
Like other "plus" media, it is possible to change the book type to increase the compatibility of DVD+R media. This is also known as bitsetting."

Does it makes any sense to you?

To vangraaf,
Yes it makes sense. It just goes to show how complicated it gets. Where do you find all this info?

First ,it seems i need to know the make and model of my DVD drive. Then, which discs are suitible for my make/model. But isn't Brassero supposed to recognise different disc? and if there's a brand of disc that's not supported, couldn't it just tell me, "Disc not supported" instead of just giving me some "error code" which means nothing to the average person.
Seems like i'm going to make a lot of "costers" before i crack this problem.

On a plus note, my nephew bought me a new mobile phone and i plugged it into my desktop, and it recognised it without my having to install the disc that came with it, which i guess is only Windows/Mac compatible. I was able to transfer images, tracks. I now have the same "wallpaper" on my phone as my desktop. Seems Linux can do some things without a load of hassle.
Cheers M.

vangraaf
07-01-2010, 15:46
> Where do you find all this info?
I had that from svp www.svp.co.uk (http://www.svp.co.uk) on the blank media section, it`s under more info, I think. This is it

http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/consumables/blank-dvdr/dvdr-non-printable/verbatim-azo-16x-branded-matt-silver-dvdr-in-packs-of-100-verbati126_spindle-tub-of-100-43551.html

Ignore the price, at the moment Play & Amazon are doing them for £16.

I buy Verbatim discs....very good quality & dye. I used to get TDK until they changed their tops to a very dark blue.

Just burned a few DVD`s rated 16x, they burned at between 3.5x - 5x. The thing with burnproof is that it`s supposed to go up to the maximum speed of your drive, avoiding "coasters", most of the time it works OK.

Have a look on here burning with Brasero.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ5cJtwgJZ4&feature=related

On the left hand side you can have a look at the related videos on burning, might help. Although, having said that Brasero has changed it`s interface a bit since then.

K3B is another one you could try.