Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Broadband at home
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 18:03
Forum Member

BT really was not interested in my broadband problem as it is with another ISP - it wasn't until (possibly coincidentally - or not!) there was a problem with my BT landline that they would have a look - they find a major fault and allocated me another line. Orange had previously done a line check and said there was no fault on the line!

It is the responsibility of Orange as ISP to make contact with BT - but whether they will do it is a different matter. I assume that you are telephoning their technical support as it is a little quicker than the usual route - number is
0844873 8586. They will do a line check but obviously you will have to be on another line for them to do this.

Since my last call to Tech Support requesting a BrightBox router as a last resort my connection has not dropped at all - that was the 5th April but this may due to the fact that it is holiday time and there is not so much commercial traffic (possibly) - my drop-outs occur usually in the afternoons.

When I spoke to Tech Support on the 5th April they denied any possibility of traffic shaping, capping etc and blamed the older technology of the livebox - we shall see.
Old 08-04-2012, 18:24
Banned

just to muddy the water .... after a fault or permanent change they'll flip the rate adaptive test gear to "retune" the kit so the rates will go up and down as it finds it's level -

they'll try to time it so router arrives - you install router like an eager beaver and then the line tunes it's self for optimum performance

as marbles says - with all impediments lifted

the less poking you do for the 10 days after the arrival of the router the better, just let it float
Old 08-04-2012, 20:32
Forum Member

Red face

All is still well,had a good play with router.I have even set up 3 network names for the kids and set the download and upload bandwidth for each wireless network.My older daughter is into love film and it sometimes makes my wired connection feel slow,so i have capped her download to 128 and upload to 64,no issues.Problem was the young lad ,typical 15 year old moaning about her streaming movies and knocking his connection out,so i set his to 256 download and 128 upload and surprise surprise both happy no drop outs,both have there own password keys for there own network names ,all well .
Old 08-04-2012, 22:00
Expert Member

in my house Foxy,,, he who pays the BB bill takes precedent,,,,
so the good lady gets full whack

unless im on COD4 then all other plugs are yanked if my ping rate shoots in to outer space,,lololol
Old 08-04-2012, 22:44

Angry orange broadband

Hello Marbles, thanks for your reply.

I can't remember now exactly what the email problem was, something like not being able to connect - but only intermittently.
Router is Netgear N150 supplied by orange about 6 weeks ago. (Prior to that they had supplied a Seimens router). I'll try to check the settings as you recommend.
Since my last entry, I phoned orange - who now deny that my service was "capped", and insist that I should phone BT about a problem with the line "but don't mention the broadband problem".
Grrr!

Difarn and Leicesterfox - glad to hear that you are getting things sorted out. Hope it continues.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41
Forum Member

Thanks Actroll - they did say that to me and I did just that until I wasn't able to get a web page to load for 2 days. I rang technical support again and they said it wasn't normal and tried to go through all of the tests/questions again. In the end a complete reset of the router. I knew it would restore itself immediately after this and didn't need them to tell me how or what to do having been doing this for the best part of 12 months. This is when the technician said that the BrightBox may be a better option as it is much more stable. Not convinced about this at all as I think he had probably got to the end of his crib sheet.

Will see.

Last edited by difarn; 09-04-2012 at 08:42. Reason: incorrect text
Old 12-04-2012, 19:56

Default slow download

Hurrah! It was not a fault on the BT phone line, it was not a faulty laptop, it was not crackling on the line causing interference ---- it was orange all the time. I suggested I was thinking of leaving for another provider, and lo and behold, the very next morning, my download speed had amazingly increased to 6.44 Mbps! Given ACTroll's comments, I'm not expecting this to last forever, but I feel in a better position now to argue my case with them.

So persevere folks - eventually you will get the service you are paying for.
Old 13-04-2012, 00:02
Forum Member

Hope so. That's what I thought but now beginning to get one or two drop outs again when I have a connection but it is not strong enough to access any web pages - although they have been for shorter periods.

The new BrightBox replacement for the replacement Livebox arrived to-day. I have had a look at it and will make a decision whether to try it or not over the next few days. The only downside is no free VOIP.
Closed Thread