Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Home Computing/Enthusiast > Personal Computing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 23:33
Forum Member

Default Netbook or Notebook

My wife wants to replace her Fujitsu Amilo Laptop with a smaller, more easily-managed and lighter Netbook (did they used to be called Notebooks?) but they all seem to have only 1GB of RAM. Her laptop has 3GB, and she's worried that her new Netbook will be much slower owing to its limited memory. Do Netbooks run on a more basic version of Windows than, say, Win 7, which allows them to run at the same speed as their bigger brothers? Thank you! Mike
Old 13-04-2012, 07:02

Laptops and Notebooks are the same thing (normal "laptops")

Netbooks are different things.

They are normally smaller than a laptop (smaller screen, smaller keyboard) and dont have a CD/DVD drive.

They are mainly for people "on the go" so have low powered CPUs that prolong battery life.

Most of them run Windows 7 Starter which is a cut-down more basic version of Windows 7.

1Gb should be enough if you are only doing "basic" things like email, office type work, internet etc and dont have too many applications open at once.
Old 13-04-2012, 18:06

Wink

my Dell mini 9" netbook has xp sp3 & 1 gb of RAM & is fine with wi fi in overseas hotels with say Hotmail Gmail emails keep the number of open progs low as necessary be aware of the 16 Gb SD HDD etc have a 8 Gb SD card just in case installed just in case & its a go anywhere small PC takes 1/2 the space n weight of a laptop good extra is a small usb wi fi Aerial eg TP link £9 all the above for me = no problem now or in the future cost £150 ?18 months ago...
Old 13-04-2012, 23:00
Forum Member

Default Netbook or notebook

Thank you both for your very helpful replies, which I appreciate very much. My wife will be delighted, as all she uses her laptop for is a little bit of Email, quite a bit of eBay, and lots of Facebook! If I buy her a Netbook for her birthday, I get her Laptop --- yippee!
Keep smiling!
Mike
Old 14-04-2012, 10:00
Forum Member

The only problem with netbooks is the size of the screen, I find its too small for more than occasional web browsing, plus (or minus) the keyboard is too small for typing much more than the odd email.
Old 14-04-2012, 12:22
Forum Member

Own a Asus 1215N myself The 12 been the 12 inch screen which is bigger than the standard 10 I use it for Internet etc when i can't be bothered using the main PC. For quickness really if anything. Came with Windows 7 Home Premium too
Old 14-04-2012, 12:52
Banned

if the machine comes with 7 basic part of the license states that the supplier can only fit 1Gb ... but no restriction on the user updating.

you'll need to check what the machine's physical limit is - both in terms of capacity - (some netbooks max 2Gb ... some more) ... and also quantity - some have a single slot - some can take two
then see if the retailer will do a deal on supplying either a bigger replacement or an extra stick of memory.
Old 14-04-2012, 19:03
Expert Member

hi,,, if your going netbook, you can get bigger screens as stated and more RAM preloaded,,, its just how much you want to spend,,,
if the price rises too much then you might as well have got a 15" laptop.
i have a netbook with a 13" screen and 3GB of DDR 3 RAM,, it also has a 250GB SSD with windows 7 64bit home prem pre loaded,,, the price new was around £500
i would never pay that for a full spec laptop never mind a netbook.
Old 15-04-2012, 21:09
Forum Member

Default Netbook/notebook

Thank you all very much for your detailed replies, helpful advice and, not least, your expert knowledge --- all of which I appreciate very much. I found it very interesting that if a netbook is loaded with the basic version of Win 7, the licence restricts the RAM to 1GB. This should, really, be fast enough, but I'm now more confident about installing another 1GB if it proves necessary. Thanks again. Keep smiling! Mike
Old 19-04-2012, 15:06

Netbooks life span is not as good as that of normal laptop. Also, the storage capacity is limited. Howver, it is convenient and flexible enough to use.
Closed Thread