Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > From the pages of Computeractive
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 16:38

Default Tablet Review

Having just bought a BlackBerry PlayBook, I thought the tablet review in the current issue was a bit harsh. A glance along the price row on the comparison table shows it to be nearly half the price of the rest, yet it has a splendid hi resolution screen that is a joy to use - the colours and detail are incredible. Plus it is a much more solid build compared to an iPad.
It has terrific in-built security features and encrypted back-ups.
I can send emails with attachments which I gather few other tablets can do, including the iPad.
The Docs to Go give you a full Office suite, plus Adobe Reader, Video Chat and Print to Go.
There's built-in Twitter, Facebook & YouTube functionality, so I can comment from events online.
Integrated contacts, meeting and calendar applications - again, built-in.
The camera & video are not bad either although it's not as good as my DSLR in low light - but few cameras are.
It has GPS, which wasn't mentioned, so maps and star-gazing work well.
As for apps, I can do non-trivial things like edit photos and there are some superb drawing apps.
Plus project management tools like Conqu.
Other apps include useful tools like Evernote, ebook readers, and business analysis. I particularly like the SEM scanner showing the SEO tags & metadata for any website page you point the tablet at.
And a UK company data app.
More importantly, I can have lots of apps open at the same time and swipe between them in the blink of an eye, unlike the iPad.
There's a tele-prompter you can set to your speech rate to keep you on track when making speeches or videos.
Plus lots of RSS feeds, an international press reader, including 109 UK newspapers.
Plus, I don't have to buy a load of new handbags as it is so small and neat. And I can ditch the laptop.
And plug it into HD TVs.
To dismiss all this as: "If email, web browsing and the odd Android games are all that's required, then the Playbook is a great option at this price" is a bit glib.
There's more to life than a huge selection of apps you don't need.
Plus you can tether it to a BB or other smartphone.
Oh - and the games aren't bad either imo.
Old 16-04-2012, 17:26
Forum Member

Default Blackberry playbook.

Thank you for this post, my wife and I have the usual desktop, laptops, smartphones etc and had been looking at tablets, but couldn't warrant the expense. We too read the entry in computeractive and by looking on the internet and reviews saw some conflicts/differences. We plan to go and look at them tomorrow thus you post had assisted. Thank you. Regards.
Old 16-04-2012, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPR View Post
Having just bought a BlackBerry PlayBook, I thought the tablet review in the current issue was a bit harsh. A glance along the price row on the comparison table shows it to be nearly half the price of the rest, yet it has a splendid hi resolution screen that is a joy to use - the colours and detail are incredible. Plus it is a much more solid build compared to an iPad.
It has terrific in-built security features and encrypted back-ups.
I can send emails with attachments which I gather few other tablets can do, including the iPad.
The Docs to Go give you a full Office suite, plus Adobe Reader, Video Chat and Print to Go.
There's built-in Twitter, Facebook & YouTube functionality, so I can comment from events online.
Integrated contacts, meeting and calendar applications - again, built-in.
The camera & video are not bad either although it's not as good as my DSLR in low light - but few cameras are.
It has GPS, which wasn't mentioned, so maps and star-gazing work well.
As for apps, I can do non-trivial things like edit photos and there are some superb drawing apps.
Plus project management tools like Conqu.
Other apps include useful tools like Evernote, ebook readers, and business analysis. I particularly like the SEM scanner showing the SEO tags & metadata for any website page you point the tablet at.
And a UK company data app.
More importantly, I can have lots of apps open at the same time and swipe between them in the blink of an eye, unlike the iPad.
There's a tele-prompter you can set to your speech rate to keep you on track when making speeches or videos.
Plus lots of RSS feeds, an international press reader, including 109 UK newspapers.
Plus, I don't have to buy a load of new handbags as it is so small and neat. And I can ditch the laptop.
And plug it into HD TVs.
To dismiss all this as: "If email, web browsing and the odd Android games are all that's required, then the Playbook is a great option at this price" is a bit glib.
There's more to life than a huge selection of apps you don't need.
Plus you can tether it to a BB or other smartphone.
Oh - and the games aren't bad either imo.
Only one post, and a detailed techncial review of the product (which looks like it has been "copy and pasted")

Sounds like a Blackberry employee to me.

I notice they work in "PR" (Public Relations) as well.

Last edited by Guilbert53; 16-04-2012 at 19:37.
Old 17-04-2012, 15:10

Don't waste your money on this(just read the online reviews),much better options out there.
Old 17-04-2012, 18:52

Default Playbook

Just to confirm that I do work in PR but not for BlackBerry/RIM. I have absolutely no professional connection with BlackBerry or any financial interest in them. The opinion I expressed was entirely my own although it was influenced by reading various reviews before I bought the Playbook. I have been online since 1985, so I have used a lot of technology, but I am not a professional technology reviewer. I did think that the Playbook was glossed over unfairly, which surprised me as I am a fan of Computer
Active and have subscribed for years. They were covering a lot of ground in a confined space so I guess something had to give.
I stand by my opinion that the Playbook looks like a good value little workhorse to me. It all depends on what you want to do with a tablet.
Old 18-04-2012, 10:50
Forum Member

Default Blackberry playbook

Further to the above post of mine and with no intention of offending anyone. My wife and I went to look at the playbook as stated above. We had looked at all the reviews prior to doing so, both good and bad and on what we found resulted in us buying one. Yes an iPad would have been a much better choice, but at twice the price we couldn't warrant it for the use we wanted it for. I bought it for my wife to fit between her mobile and laptop. To sit in the evening do a few emails, a bit of web browsing and the odd email or two. Games don't interest her and the installed software is exactly what she wanted. She intends to take it on holiday with us, which, because of its size will easily fit in hand luggage whereby I would be reluctant to take an ipad because of it's cost and size. The blackberry was easy to set up even by my standards, 90 days free technical support with a free phone number. (I tried it out and was answered within seconds. ) Linking it up to the computer was easy with on screen instructions. If you want a pad with lots of apps, as I have on my smartphone, then this isn't for you, but for everyday browsing, emailing etc I am more than impressed. The new operating system works well and apparently much better than the initial one.
Old 19-04-2012, 18:18

Default Playbook

Glad you took the plunge - your experience of setting up the Playbook mirrors my own. I have also found it handy for creating pictures - drawings and photos and posting on social media. I must confess, I had completely forgotten about the free tech support...
There's sometimes very good reasons for not following the crowd!
Old 30-04-2012, 19:46
Forum Member

I was very disappointed to see that the Galaxy Tab 7.7 wasn't mentioned - anyone have any experience of this?
Closed Thread