Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Networking
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2012, 13:13

Default connecting 2 routers

I remember seeing a guide in an issue of Computeractive regarding the setting up of 2 routers on a home network but cannot remember which issue ... if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful

I have searched the internet for instructions but they are all different and making me feel confused.com

Thanks
Old 17-04-2012, 15:11

I haven't read this article so I can only generalize. I think there are 2 methods.
1) Create another WAP (wireless access point) with the 2nd router. If you can lay cable then this is the best. Connect the 2nd router to the 1st with ethernet cable, configure the 2nd router and it will transmit a wi fi signal as good as the 1st.
2) Don't want or can't have cable laying around the house then you can do it wirelessly. The 2nd router becomes a wi fi extender. Generally you place it in some mid position, it picks up a reduced strength wi fi signal from the 1st router, re-amplifies it and re- transmits it from it's more advantageous position. Unfortunately all this is second best to a wired job as in re-amplifying it also amplifies any interference picked up on the way.

If you decide which way you wish to proceed, post again and somebody here will advise you.
Old 17-04-2012, 15:35

Thanks ... Still trying to figure out the way to go lol ........
Closed Thread