Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Windows Vista, XP and earlier
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 16-04-2012, 11:47
Forum Member

Default TVcatchup.

I am running Vista ultimate with FF11. I am having trouble with TVcatchup. I select the programme I want to watch and there is a quick flash of blurry white in the centre of the screen and then nothing. I notice, in the top right of screen the word 'block'. I right clicked on it and got a screen with all sorts of settings in it - very confusing. Could it be a setting in Adblock? If so would some kind, knowledgeable person tell me what the settings should be. If this is not the problem what else could it be. I have spoken to TVcatchup support and they offered to take over my computer and fix the problem. A few weeks ago I was hacked into and had a nightmare time changing passwords etc. I am now totally paranoid about security.
Old 16-04-2012, 11:59

Why don't you just temporarily turn off Adblock to see if there is a difference?
Old 16-04-2012, 16:25
Expert Member

Flash Player is used to play the video. The first thing you need to do is update to the latest version of Flash.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Can you take a screen grab of those settings and post it?
Old 17-04-2012, 19:31
Forum Member

Default TVcatchup.

Can you bear with me for a couple of days chaps - I have a friend calling in tomorrow to have a look at the problem. I will let you know what happens. Mike.
Old 18-04-2012, 14:47
Forum Member

Default TVcatchup.

My friend called in this morning and sorted the problem - it was Adblock that was causing the problem. He explained if you download and install a programme you have to be careful there are no other unwanted add ons that sneak their way in. I had a screen come up recently saying 'Thank you for installing WebMailer'!! (At least I think that what it was called) I hadn't knowingly installed it and it didn't seem to serve any purpose. All seems well now. Thank you for your time.
Old 18-04-2012, 17:15
Expert Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike220933 View Post
My friend called in this morning and sorted the problem - it was Adblock that was causing the problem.
So what was the actual solution that solved the issue you were having ????
Old 18-04-2012, 21:15
Forum Member

Default TVcatchup.

I am not really sure what he did but I can watch TVcatchup now. I think he may have removed Adblock and one or two other extraneous add ons that I never use. He is employed by various companies to service their computers so I trust him. Thanks again.
Old 18-04-2012, 21:23

Why didn't you just temporarily turn off Adblock to see if there was a difference?

Old 18-04-2012, 22:02
Forum Member

This is a little puzzling. I watch a variety of catch-up tv channels in firefox with adblock plus enabled and there are no problems. It may for some reason have been an adblock update that caused it to block the actual channels but this could have been remedied by having a look at the filter preferences/exceptions rather than having to completely disable it.

It was mentioned in a previous post but did you update your Flash Player plug in
and is your Java up to date?
Old 19-04-2012, 19:25
Forum Member

Default TVcatchup.

I always upgrade FlashPlayer when prompted. Currently I don't have Ad Block on my computer. Could you explain exactly what it's does. I assume it blocks adverts? Where would I find FlashPlayer to check whether there are upgrades or not?
Closed Thread