Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Windows Vista, XP and earlier
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 16:50
Forum Member

Default Trouble with Outlook Express attachments.

I have been using Outlook Express for all my e-mails since the 1990’s without any sort of problem. However, since about a month ago it has refused to download attachments of any size bigger than two mbs, and has also rejected sending the occasional attachment. I am running XP Pro. with all Service Packs available plus updates and checks, and have done so since Day One. My system is set up so that all incoming e-mails download via BtYahoo-which incidentally works OK.- and then, after filtering out those I don’t want- I export the mails to Outlook Express. This is when the attachments cause a problem and I get a message: “An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Needs a look at from Tim ', Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Resources temporarily unavailable - Please try again later', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67”. I can open the message and attachment in BtYahoo Mail as a work-around at present. If I try and send a message from OE with an attachment of any size I get the message: “Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F. “. This outgoing message will not ‘send ’but goes into my Send Box in OE but will go when tried a second time. I know many think that Outlook Express is dated and I should move on to another, but I've decided I like it and I don’t want to move! I have checked everything in Properties in BtMail and OE, moved the Time Out slider along to no avail. Problem is I don’t know if the issue is in BtMail or OE. Can anyone help please?
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2012, 22:01

check its not a rogue security setting
http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/ti...s_solution.php
Old 07-05-2012, 11:53
Forum Member

Default Trouble with Outlook Express attachments

Thank you MOJO for that suggestion. I will have to wait a few days now for an attachment, but I have spent a few very interesting hours looking at that site. Pity I didn't know it was there before. Anyway, thanks. Timothy.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17

A pleasure to Post & if all else fails (?iaef??) do an OE remove reinstall...but export n save all your data......
Closed Thread