Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Home Computing/Enthusiast > Digital home
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 18-01-2013, 18:48
Forum Member

Default Computer through tv

I want to use my Panasonic tv as a monitor for my Lenovo desktop computer so I can watch films etc on a bigger screen.
I have connected it with a HDMI cable but when I do so, I lose my picture on my normal pc's monitor so I have to stretch my neck to see the tv to set up my program. Is there a way I can show the programs on both the monitor and tv screen. Also, my sound is connected to a seperate hi fi and the only way to play sound when tv is connected is through the hi fi. It will not play through the tv unless I unplug the hi fi from the back of my computer which I find a bit of a nuisence. Is there any way to divert the sound through the HDMI cable to the tv? Many thanks in advance.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:57
Forum Member

When your computer is connected to your TV, press control and P on your keyboard, and this will toggle through the various display options. You could alternatively go to control panel and then to screen resolution.
To sort the sound, when your TV is plugged in, go down to the speaker icon in the taskbar and right click it. Choose the 'view playback devices' option and right click the HDMI output and set it as default.
Old 18-01-2013, 19:31
Forum Member

Whoops, just realised I made a mistake! I meant to type *Windows key and P... Control P won't work. (Well, it will if you want to print something...)
Old 19-01-2013, 16:41
Forum Member

Default computer through television

Thanks for the reply. I have sorted the sound out but to keep the picture on my computer as well as the tv is not very clear. The windows and P key (how EXACTLY should that be entered, and I assume thats in - Start button then search?doesnt seem to give me what I want and if I go to screen resolutions, then what? Thanks again
Old 19-01-2013, 20:43
Forum Member

The Windows key and P combination is just a keyboard shortcut that can be made anywhere at any time. It displays the below popup on the screen when both keys are pressed together:
(Substitute the projector for a monitor - it works for both)
In the resolutions settings, you should see two rectangles at the top. These represent your monitors. Click on these to switch between them (meaning you get specific settings for each), and you should see a dropdown that lists stuff like extend my desktop to this monitor, clone my desktop to this monitor, only display my desktop on one etc. You can also fine tune your resolution settings, something which you might want to do if you clone the desktop across two screens with different resolutions.
Old 19-01-2013, 20:54
Forum Member

Just realised that you haven't specified an OS... the Windows & P only works for Windows 7 onward, and the resolution settings will be different for versions prior to 7.
Old 19-01-2013, 22:03
Forum Member

Smile computer through television

YES! Got it . Operating windows 7. Sorry. But your suggestions work. Many thanks for your help.
Closed Thread