Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Mobile: Android and iOS
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 21-01-2013, 14:57

Question Nexus 7 - BBC iplayer - coverage

I use BBC i - Player quite a lot on my Nexus7 and I also travel in Europe a lot, but not since getting this device at Christmas. So, can I assume that I will not be able to use the iPlayer in Europe.
Old 26-01-2013, 17:02

Hi GP

Yes you assume correctly you can't get it out of UK.

Just got home to day although to be honest I hadn't tried it this time so things could have changed I suppose.

Tried on two separate occasions last years and just got a black window with 'This program is not available in your country' but who knows some stuff may be available I could have just chosen the wrong programs.

I have been promising myself that I would download an app that hides your IP address (there are a few of them) and see if that cons my way in.

If I find a way I'll post it for all but at the moment it isn't a priority although that could change if Sky keep narrowing their beam, Channel 5, Five* and Five USA already gone with rumours that BBC1 and 2 and ITV channels will follow later this year.

Bigger dish may do it but by bigger I mean like around 3 metres
Old 23-02-2013, 12:11
Forum Member

You can't get it outside the UK I am abroad right now with mine
Hola extension on chrome can get it on a PC but not on a android tablet/phone there is promises for the future
Old 23-02-2013, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1104 View Post
You can't get it outside the UK I am abroad right now with mine
Hola extension on chrome can get it on a PC but not on a android tablet/phone there is promises for the future
My son, who lives in Switzerland watches BBC Iplayer on his iPad using this
http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/landing-page-mobile
link. He pays £5 per month to use it and it allows android/Nexus7 users to watch in Europe as it conceals the ISP country. I have been in touch with them and am advised that it will work on my Nexus7 and you are not contracted to any length of time - Pay about a £5er and you can watch UK TV in Europe while you are on holiday - I intend to try on my annual trip later this year. Give it a try, if you are minded to and report back and let US know if it works.

PS I usually watch UK TV using this app in the UK. I think it is a great little free app. called TV Catchup - DL it from Google Play store

Last edited by graham-P; 23-02-2013 at 12:25. Reason: PS
Old 23-02-2013, 15:21

I'm not advising this, but if you can use a VPN to a UK company or person, you then will appear to be from the UK. The nexus supports that.

There are VPN Services or like them, but I cant advise on whether these are safe or how much they will cost.

You could also set up a VPN to your pc at home and connect to that.
Old 23-02-2013, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smooth View Post
I'm not advising this, but if you can use a VPN to a UK company or person, you then will appear to be from the UK. The nexus supports that.

There are VPN Services or like them, but I cant advise on whether these are safe or how much they will cost.

You could also set up a VPN to your pc at home and connect to that.
And, be prepared to pay for the service!
Old 24-02-2013, 07:08
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham-P View Post
My son, who lives in Switzerland watches BBC Iplayer on his iPad using this
http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/landing-page-mobile
link. He pays £5 per month to use it and it allows android/Nexus7 users to watch in Europe as it conceals the ISP country. I have been in touch with them and am advised that it will work on my Nexus7 and you are not contracted to any length of time - Pay about a £5er and you can watch UK TV in Europe while you are on holiday - I intend to try on my annual trip later this year. Give it a try, if you are minded to and report back and let US know if it works.

PS I usually watch UK TV using this app in the UK. I think it is a great little free app. called TV Catchup - DL it from Google Play store
Yes you can do that and it hides you that is what hola does and its free but its not available for android tablets or phones as yet if you look in Google play you will find hola but only as a internet accelerator it doesn't hide you but work is in progress.
As I posted before hola extension on chrome works fine on a PC and it's free
Old 24-02-2013, 09:13

Quote:
Yes you can do that and it hides you that is what hola does and its free but its not available for android tablets or phones as yet if you look in Google play you will find hola but only as a internet accelerator it doesn't hide you but work is in progress.
As I posted before hola extension on chrome works fine on a PC and it's free
I'll make a note of that and install it on my laptop, which I also have to take with me on my semi-business trips abroad. I'll have a look for it, but do you have a link?
Old 25-02-2013, 15:41
Forum Member

Just Google hola extension for chrome/Firefox it seems to work better on chrome
Old 25-02-2013, 16:08

Quote:
Just Google hola extension for chrome/Firefox it seems to work better on chrome
Thanks - got it and now will have to wait for next trip to test it - meanwhile have asked children in Europe to test it on their devices.
Closed Thread