Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Other software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 21-01-2013, 08:00

Default Movie compression & editing.

My desktop PC runs Win 7 64 bit and has Win Media centre part of which allows me to record TV programs to hard drive. I wish to transfer programs films etc to either DVD or USB memory stick, then show the contents from my Flatscreen TV vis the USB port or DVD player. Now comes the problem, lots of the programs/films are to large for DVD or memory stick.
I have been informed by other novices like myself that the files on my Hard Drive need to be compresssed & will then fit the discs or sticks. Additionaly could I obtain software to enable me to edit out pats of the recorded files such as advert breaks.

I would appreciate any advice.
Old 21-01-2013, 13:46

DVD Shrink will shrink to fit a DVD, but you will lose some quality.
http://www.dvdshrink.org/

You will first need an video editing program like Windows Movie Maker to edit and author the movie
See here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=free...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 21-01-2013, 17:47

Old 21-01-2013, 18:38

As said shrink will cpmpress dont worry about quality doubt if you would notice the difference most movies will take up to 40% + Shrink will also Authors but limited to cut and shunt .Big advantage you wont change the format Which Could alter the quality
Old 21-01-2013, 21:27
Forum Member

I'm going to break this down,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
My desktop PC runs Win 7 64 bit and has Win Media centre part of which allows me to record TV programs to hard drive. :: win7 media center produces .wtv files OR .dvr-ms if you (right mouse click the file in windows explorer) Convert to .dvr-ms Format, which will on average reduce it by about One Gig.

If recording from say BBC Three a 2 Hour film can be nearly 6 Gigs (won't fit a 4.25 DVD-5 single layer or a 4 Gig USB Stick), and if recording from say Pick TV it will be about 2.5 Gigs.

I wish to transfer programs films etc to either DVD or USB memory stick, then show the contents from my Flatscreen TV vis the USB port or DVD player. Now comes the problem, lots of the programs/films are to large for DVD or memory stick.:: See above.

I have been informed by other novices like myself that the files on my Hard Drive need to be compresssed & will then fit the discs or sticks. :: Never take advice from novices, Ever, They haven't a clue what they are talking about, As the files are already in a compressed format.

Additionaly could I obtain software to enable me to edit out pats of the recorded files such as advert breaks.:: What you need is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corel-VideoS.../dp/B0032Z7T3G

or this http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...&segid=6100016

I would appreciate any advice.
Advice, Either of those two Programs will Load, Edit (Out, Especially the Ads, and write to an mpg Video File, that has an MPEG Optimiser to reduce the size to whatever you want) Compatible with USB Sticks to insert into a TV USB Port, or Burn to a DVD-R that is a proper Video Disc with VIDEO_TS Folder..

Last edited by MCE2K5; 21-01-2013 at 21:33.
Closed Thread