Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Linux and open source software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 17-01-2013, 20:15

Default new and old drive

Hi

My old HDD has been playing tricks, so I bought a second hand HDD 160 SATA from ebay. Its now in my desltop, I was trying to install Ubuntu onto a DVD, but it just installed a single file.
Once I have done the DVD bit, I assume that I will be able to boot from the new drive and then sellect each time?
Ubuntu ok?
Old 22-01-2013, 10:22

Welcome to the forum.

I assume that you have downloaded the Ubuntu ISO file using Windows. Unless you are using Windows 7 you will need to install third party software to burn the ISO image to CD/DVD e.g. http://cdburnerxp.se/

The next step is to go into BIOS and set the CD/DVD as the first boot device and boot the computer with your disk in the drive. For most Linux distributions this will boot you into a live session. Once installed to your chosen Hard Drive, on boot up, you will be presented with a menu to select your OS if there is more than one.

For all Linux distributions the procedure is pretty much the same
  1. Download the ISO image (preferably using a Torrent client)
  2. Check the md5 or sha sum e.g. http://www.winmd5.com/ (in Windows)
  3. Burn to CD/DVD using software capable of burning an ISO image.
  4. Connect the computer by wired Ethernet especially if installing on a laptop as most distributions will look for drivers for your hardware especially wireless drivers
  5. With CD/DVD set as first boot device – boot the computer with disk in drive
  6. Many distributions will drop to a menu if a key is pressed before or during the first splash screen to allow you (amongst other things) to check the CD/DVD for errors
  7. Most but not all distributions will either boot to a live session or offer the option of booting into a live session.
  8. Follow the on screen installation instructions
You can alternatively use a USB stick if your computer will boot from USB.

If you follow these steps then you should have few if any problems.

Warning
If, when it gets to the format screen it says “Use the Entire Disk”, “Erase Disk and Install XXXXX” or similar then STOP the installation unless you are SURE you want to do so. The most common reasons for this are that the Windows installation uses all four Primary disk partitions or there is not enough contiguous free space to install Linux.
If you have any problems or queries please get back to us. As a new member of the forums your first few posts will be pre-moderated so there will be some delay in them appearing.
Closed Thread