Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Printers, scanners and cameras
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 18-01-2013, 19:34
Forum Member

VLC will. See here for some others that will too.

Last edited by succulent95; 18-01-2013 at 19:36.
Old 18-01-2013, 19:42
Forum Member

Thats great, i will try VLC

thanks
John
Old 20-01-2013, 00:31

Only just spotted this and I can't give a fully checked out answer as I am not at home at the moment and wont be until end of the month, no video camera stuff on this lap top, ..but.

I don't really understand your friends difficulty in putting the files on USB but even if they did unless the files are a completely finalised piece of footage there may still be a couple of problems with what you are planning.

As an aside I am pretty sure your panasonic footage is a completely different animal and I think you can forget any hope that there may be some compatibility.

Re getting the raw camera files to USB isn't a problem, the time it would take will depend on their computer power but even a low powered PC wouldn't take too long.

All they need to do connect the Everio to the PC and it automatically presents various play back option, one of which is back up, this downloads the files to a back up location on the PC. Once the files are downloaded they can be just copied to USB without any issue providing you know where the files are and which files are the ones you want among any other different video footage previously downloaded.

They could even create a download location on the USB stick and the Everio will download the back up straight to the USB. Although if the footage has been already downloaded to the Hard Drive that may not work as the camera checks files and will not back up the same files twice.

Your problem may come if the footage is not one contiguous piece of footage, ie the record button has been pressed many times and not just once to start and then once to stop 2 hrs later. If the button has been pressed just once to record a continuous single activity you will have one single file, which will be better but you may still have a problem playing back the audio with VLC seem to recall it will play the raw video but not the sound, but it's a while since I tried it.

If the button has been pressed many times you will have a file (clip) of different sizes (lengths) for each press of the button.

When you play a clip back on VLC it will only play the few seconds or minutes and then stop you will then have to select the next file. So you will not be able to view a continuous video. Also as I said I seem to recall that VLC plays the video only and not the audio. The Windows Media Player that comes with Windows 7 (not earlier) will play MTS files and does play the audio but again will only play one clip at a time.

If you can persuade your friend to down loads the video as back up, that shouldn't take them very long, then if they click on share in the JVC software options and follow the instructions it shouldn't take long to convert the clips to WMV. If you have the clips in WMV you can edit and join them into one contiguous length of footage using Windows Movie Maker at your own leisure as that is what takes all the time and trouble.
Old 20-01-2013, 09:42

Just thinking about this again,

In last post I said the standard Windows7 Media Player will play mts files(Media Transport Stream) it does on mine but that could be because I also have the JVC software installed and WMP could be borrowing the JVC codex to play the mts files. Can't be sure as I have never tried it without the JVC software installed.

Never the less W7 does handle mts much better than say, for instance, XP. mts files in XP appear as folders. ie each clip is in a separate folder when you open the folder you find a separate video and audio clip which will not play back together.

The JVC Everio software is however able to handle this and plays the files normally, but I have not found any other software that will play them contiguously and with the audio in XP.

W7 however displays mts clips as one single file and presents them as a thumbnail of one of the frames and is of course generally much more capable than XP was.

NB when the JVC software converts the Everio mts files to 'High Definition Windows Media Video' Files, the conversion from mts to wmv is lossless, ie you will not see any loss of quality most other converters loose quality in the conversion so again you would be better asking your friend to backup the files and convert them to WMV with the JVC software, then you can use several different types of software to edit render and finalise the video including any version of Windows Movie Maker which you will already have, plus I think WMV would be favourite for ease of use and quality of finish.
Old 21-01-2013, 14:54

VLC will play several files, staring the next one automatically.
In Windows select all the files, right click the first one and choose Play with VLC Player. It'll then load and starting player. If it is on the last one click Skip to next and it'll go round to the first file and continue from there.

I use VLC for all my video playback (including DVD-Video). I've always had less trouble with it playing file than with WMP. Haven't tried it with the video camera type files yet though.
Old 21-01-2013, 16:45

Dannman

The Everio doesn't record in DVD it records in AVCHD 'advanced video compressed high definition'. My DVD format camcorder footage plays on VLC no problem. AVCHD is not the same.

Although I can't double check because I don't have access to my Desk Top PC at the moment I am almost certain that VLC will not play AVCHD clips contiguously, they have to be selected individually as at the pre edit stage they are individual files. Also if the clips have been taken on different days then the clips will be stored on the SD card completely seperately so not only will the clips have to be individually selected but also a different folder will have to be gone into for each day.

That is just the way the JVC Everio software works it, so that it can present all your video for editing and rendering in a sort of calendar layout for each day/month/year. It's excellent if you have the JVC software installed but if not and just trying to work from the raw AVCHD files on an SD card or USB stick it becomes a pain in the bum.

Plus fiddling about with the raw AVCHD files on the SD Card without knowing what you are doing could cause problems.

The JVC Everio software includes a 'share' option for that reason.

That's why I suggested that the files be backed on the friends PC then the JVC 'share' option be used to Lossless convert the AVCHD to HD WMV, which should only take about 30 -40 minutes even on a low powered PC.
Old 21-01-2013, 17:46

Sorry Dannman

Just read your post again I see what you are saying re multiple play which I agree would work if all the individual clips are stored in one location/folder but Everio SD Card recorders store clips in separate groups by date.

So I think you would only be able to play multiple clips that were taken on the same date.

PLUS i wouldn't fancy messing with the raw files directly on the SD Card if it was all the footage I had

Last edited by jack157; 21-01-2013 at 17:48.
Old 21-01-2013, 20:04

Read this and tell me if it's a good idea to start messing with the raw files on the SD Card without having some idea what you are doing or the correct software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOD_and_TOD

I'm just trying to stop succulent95 loosing the only copy of precious footage he and friend may have. As far as I know nothing standard will read the raw files straight from the SD Card. They will have to be converted and the best lossless way of doing that is to use JVC's specific software to first import/back-up the .TOD files as a playable MTS then convert to HD WMV. It really doesn't take long or any special knowledge.

Plus there is also the chance that when the Camera formatted SD Card is inserted into a PC's Card Reader the PC may request a re-format.

I can't check that for sure as not getting home until end of month but Succulent95 has already said he is not sure what he is doing

So if it does request a re-format DON'T or Ooops! bingo goes all the recordings.
Old 22-01-2013, 09:01

Just realised that the original poster's ID is jawatto.

I made the mistake while replying and looking at the ID on the first post of page2 having joined the thread late.

Sorry Succulant95 for referring to you as the original poster.

Jack
Old 22-01-2013, 14:42

Just to go back a bit here. The man shooting the footage is not going to make any copies. He's going to send you the only copy on SD card!

You could really do with him making a copy. Wheather he sends you a copy or the original card you should make copies. At least one back up, one working copy (the one you use/watch) and the copy sent to you that you put safe.

Sounds like Jack157 might have had more experience with JVC camcorder files than I have.
Closed Thread