Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Windows Vista, XP and earlier
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2013, 11:47

The correct way to do what you want is via Configuration -> General -> Uncheck ‘Start with Windows’ -> OK
Is this what you have already tried has Stewart as already advised?

Old 22-01-2013, 12:07
Expert Member

msconfig is intended to be used as a diagnostic tool. It should not be used for permanently disabling entries. That's why third party utilities exist to do the job. MS even has its own.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_autoruns/
A cut down version is included in Windows Defender (though not the W8 version where its in Task Manager))
Old 22-01-2013, 15:31
Forum Member

Default start up/msconfig

“The correct way to do what you want is via Configuration -> General -> Uncheck ‘Start with Windows’ -> OK Is this what you have already tried has Stewart as already advised”?Yes and my reply is above-“Thanks for“the info but it made no difference”

MSconfig-When I read in Computer Active page 54, as mentioned above it said”typing msconfig.exe in a run box is easiy missued.Its main use is for disabling unwanted start up items”.I interpreted this to mean what I wanted as being discussed here.As I thought this would be the answer I tried this before downloading more software .But if this is not appropriate I wil do so.
I am using XP.
Old 22-01-2013, 16:27

Editman

Microsoft always recommended users to use MSCONFIG as diagnostic approach and not to use it as a permanent solution to disable Startup items.
As your issue is a diagnostic approach – just use MSCONFIG to see if it helps you in your predicament.

Personally, all the years I have been using computers, I have used MSCONFIG on many, many, occasions to disable items permanently without any adverse consequences.
The obvious way to stop an item from starting is from within the actual program. That is what the option is for.
Some programs don’t allow this for their own selfish reasons, but Snap 6 does have the option.
If it doesn’t work, perhaps there is further issues to explorer.
I would uninstall Snap 6 for starters and then re-install to see if this makes a difference. This is another diagnostic approach.
If however using MSCONFIG stops it from starting up - leave it at that.
Old 22-01-2013, 21:03
Expert Member

When you untick Start with Windows in Snap 6 Configuration do you click on OK & then also on Save and Close ? *

In AutoRuns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Use Logon tab which cuts down on number of entries & untick Ashsnap

Also untick Start with Windows in Snap 6 Configuration - I think this takes precedence

Close Snap 6 & close/refresh Autoruns

In Registry (Start > Run REGEDIT)
You want to have removed in Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run - the entry for Ashsnap

* Doesn't appear to matter whether clicked or not.

Last edited by Stewart; 22-01-2013 at 21:07.
Old 22-01-2013, 23:53
Forum Member

Default start up

I had not been clicking save and close, did not think of that.Anyway, I did, and was then able to use print screen without Snap 6 opening.But- after starting up again later there it was again and the start with windows option was checked.So I am back to square one.
I got this software with the aim of capturing a selected area of video to AVI from the screen.
I had to re install because it would not start.I am not finding it east to use, in fact I am unable to figure out a way of using it to capture video.
I am considering permanently uninstalling this software, it has given me lots of agro.
I would like to thank all of you for your time and trouble with your advice.
Old 23-01-2013, 00:34

Click on the Configure icon, then the Help tab.
In the Contents, expand Introduction to show Video Captures.
This shows you how to Capture Videos (including using AVI) as well as using Snap 6 in General. It isn't that hard to use.

Personally, if you are going to purchase this sort of capture program, I would recommend -->> Faststone Capture <<--
You’ll not get much better for the price that it is offered at.
Old 23-01-2013, 11:22
Forum Member

Default video capture

Thanks for the infp, I will follow your advice,use the software as recommended above to stop Snap on start up and if no joy I will try the prog you said.
Old 23-01-2013, 11:40
Expert Member

It's all very perplexing. I can have Snap 6 in Startup/not in Startup almost at will.

I can only think that you are not being given "permission" to make the change in the Registry. As far as I recall, "in Startup" is the Snap 6 default.
Old 24-01-2013, 00:01
Forum Member

Default start up

Well, all I can say, Stewart, is that if it is perplexing for you, then there is no hope for me.I am away from my PC for a few days but when I get back I will persevere a little longer.
Closed Thread