Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Security
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2013, 17:01

Guilbert, what they said was:

1. That Office 2003 and 2007 will not run on W8. That they may appear to load but not all the features work. I use Access 2000 for Family History records - at first our man said that wouldn't work at all, but another assistant said it would, but it would not access "databases", so I don't know what the truth is. Nobody seemed sure if that just meant external databases or tables in, say, Excel. I don't use either - just tables created in Access itself.

2. That if you buy a single licence for Home & Student 2010 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint & One Note) for £99.99, you currently get just a product key (no disc) with the right to upgrade free to 2013 when it comes out in a couple of months time. (that is probably true).

3. That the whole of Office is in the W8 restore partition, and the Free Trial edition on C: is actually the full edition just needing the activation code to determine which version runs (but a product key from 2007 won't do anything). With no disc and no Repair option in Office 2013 (he'd just been on a course for 2013), if it becomes corrupted on the C: partition, you have to do a full W8 restore (losing all your programs, apps and data) and get a replacement authorisation code from MS to re-activate Office (presumably 2010, then upgrade to 2013/15/18!), then reinstall all your other progs & apps.

5. That PC World include a one off Cloud subscription, which you can use for backup and to make a Disc Image to restore your pc should a prog become corrupted.

4. If you want to run Office on more than 1 pc (eg laptop + desktop, or self & wife's laptops), you have to take either the annual subscription version for £90 p.a. or the Pro version for around £400.

5. There is no way you can get Outlook or Access except with the Pro version.

6. That MS Policy is to switch all versions of Office to annual subscription as soon as they kill off XP and Vista, on the basis that everyone should be running the latest version of all software! Possibly true!

I told him I would have to check it all out on the CA forum and I think that's when he realised he wasn't going to sell us anything. I didn't want to get too argumentative in front of my grandson!

I'm too exhausted by the experience to check it all out on MS websites, so would appreciate comments from W8/Office users.

Steel: Yes we went to check out 2 laptops we liked, a Samsung i3 and a Lenovo i5, but they hadn't got either and they were on the website as Order & Collect from Store. The assistant checked the nearest store that had them - one Samsung in stock in Doncaster 150 miles away and 15 Lenovo's in Cambridge, 200 miles away. Lancashire isn't bursting with PC shops!

Last edited by mikec; 22-01-2013 at 17:11.
Old 22-01-2013, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
5. There is no way you can get Outlook or Access except with the Pro version.
Picking one at random.

While that is true for Access, I think it has only ever been available for the "expensive" Professional and Enterprise versions.

But it is not true for Outlook.

You can get it as part of the Home and Business product in 2010 and 2013 (which is more expensive than the Home and Student product).
Old 22-01-2013, 17:36

Quote:
2. That if you buy a single licence for Home & Student 2010 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint & One Note) for £99.99, you currently get just a product key (no disc) with the right to upgrade free to 2013 when it comes out in a couple of months time. (that is probably true).
You CAN buy the Home and Student 2010 with just the Product Key Card with no disc.

However you can also buy the DVD version and that allows you to run it on 3 PCs.

Here it is on Amazon. You can also see you can upgrade to the next version of Office if you buy the DVD version (see the same page on the Amazon site)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Of.../dp/B003FO8956

More here about Office upgrades

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.h...d_i=B003FO8956

Last edited by Guilbert53; 22-01-2013 at 17:39.
Old 22-01-2013, 17:42

Quote:
5. That PC World include a one off Cloud subscription, which you can use for backup and to make a Disc Image to restore your pc should a prog become corrupted.
The function to make a disk image is built in to W7 (and I assume W8) for free.

It cant backup to the cloud (in W7 anyway) but can to DVD or external hard drive.

I wrote a small article about it here

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/s...d.php?t=226846
Old 22-01-2013, 19:17

The man said the Cloud would appear in Computer as another drive, so that any backup prog could use it.
Old 23-01-2013, 20:36
Forum Member

Avast is compatible with win 8 and i would use avast before i chose defender in win 8.any reviews of testing of security essentails I have seen it hasn't perfomed as well as avast.Also regarding what Cali said,I removed Mcafee I.S in win 8 and got the security centre alert that no anti virus was installed on my laptop so defender did not enable itself.
Old 24-01-2013, 10:54
Expert Member

Defender in W8 is a different program to both MSE and the previous Defender. You cant make a judgement based on previous OS's.
Did you check Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Security re the anti virus? It may just have required turning on.
Closed Thread