Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Networking
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 23-02-2007, 05:37

Default BT HOMEHUB connection manager and wireless connection

Hi i wonder if anyone here can help me as BT helpdesk is driving me mad! I have bt homehub at home and i am connected wirelessly on my laptop no problems. For me my problems start when i take my laptop away. if i go abroad or to an internet cafe etc and try to connect Bt wireless connection manager will not aloow me to connect to the internet for more then a minute it is as if it lets me on then realises that oh i am not on a BT line and boots me off! i have spoken with the help desk loads of times now and the advice is useless from why dont you go home and see if your homehub is working! to connect using wires arghhhhhhhh! So if anyone can help me figure out this problem so i never have to deal with them again i would be very very grateful! ;-)
Old 23-02-2007, 07:46

Default Re: BT HOMEHUB connection manager and wireless connection

When you are away, then the BT link is not appropriate - you need to set up another wireless connection which you can use for this purpose, and then select the original one when at home.
This will all sound a bit vague, as I'm relating what my brother-in-law has told me. He is by way of being somewhat of an expert on the topic, having had to cope with travelling around and using his laptop in internet cafes and airports as well as having connections for at least 3 different office/home environments.
Derek
Old 23-02-2007, 21:08

Hi Derek

thanks for your reply i dont suppose you would know how to go about that?
There is the microsoft wireless connection manager but BT's one has over ridden it and i cant use it if thats what you are talking about?
The only link form BT that i am using is the Connection manager i am really sounding very blond here sorry ;-\0
Old 24-02-2007, 08:37

Andrea: sorry, but I don't really know anything more - certainly not about the BT connection manager (not having gone the BT with homehub route).
At the time he explained, I thought that it seemed fairly straightforward - but this was without doing it.
I know that under his network connections page he had perhaps 8 different ones set up for use when he was in various places.
You'd go to Control panel|Network and then set up a new dialup or LAN/Internet connection (depending on the hardware you use) with the properties appropriately set. Look into the properties of those already existing to get some clue as to what has been set/is set.
Derek
Old 24-02-2007, 09:38

Thanks Derek
Ive been asking my partner and i think i know what you mean im going to a mates house tonight so fingers crossed i can manage it! but i sure would like to know why BT is doing this i never had this problem with telewest and my netgear grrrrrrr!
Old 24-02-2007, 16:07

I've had this (similar) problem when connecting to one of my house's two wireless networks with the BT Hub software as one of them - to connect to the one that isn't BT's, you need to start up the Wireless Zero Configuration service (disabled by BT's software) and use XP's own wireless connections utility - to do this:

Start menu, and right-click My Computer, hit Manage, and go to Applications and Services, Services, then find the Wireless Zero Configuration service (alphabetically!) and start it. You should now be able to connect to networks using the Windows wireless thingy...
Old 24-02-2007, 18:36

As part of the BT Total Broadband subscription you are entitled to 250 minutes a month of Free BT Openzone minutes. You should have been sent an E-mail from BT with a link to claim this entitlement.
Neil
Old 26-02-2007, 15:46

thanks mike i have tried that but it still not working properly it seems to stop working then i have to manually do the whole process over and over again!
Also i never recieved the free minutes grrrrr i feel i have another phone call to BT OMG i think i will take some valium to calm me down first grrrrrrr
Old 27-02-2007, 20:41

There was no need to load any software to enable wireless access to the homehub. All that is necessary is to use the windows client and enter the given WEP key. When moving elsewhere the client will list all available access points & depending on encryption will connect to whichever you chose.
Old 28-02-2007, 07:04

Hi Titanic,

My laptop is the only pc i have at my home address withou downloading the softwear woul it still have been ok? i guess what i am asking is should remove all of the bt home hub softwear and would that cure my problem?
Closed Thread