Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Windows Vista, XP and earlier
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 18:56
Forum Member

Default WHERE'S MY POWERPOINT VIEWER GONE??

Hi'ya all knowing people.
I have Windows XP SP2 with Microsoft works.
I've been clearing out old PowerPoint files that people have sent me via emails (You know, all the silly stuff) and tried to open a PP file to check before deletion. No viewer!!
After going to start/ all progs/ Microsoft powerPoint viewer 2003, a box appeared saying; searching for "PPTVVIEW.EX".... No, it didn't find it. After going to C:/ programme files/ PowerPoint and checking to see if it still exists (It does) I now get "Caution. You are attempting to open file of type 'Application extension (.DLL), when I returned to Start/ all programmes/ PP.
I system restored to Sunday 29th (Thinking it was the new Rocketdock I downloaded... I dragged Microsoft works task launcher on to it) but no, still no PP viewer? So i've reverted back to as you were/ are/ is/ was? I just love Rocketdock!
I've also opened Works task launcher and it's ceased to exist in there as well!
Doh! Please help all knowing people.
Regards.
Old 02-05-2007, 19:08
Expert Member

Default Re: WHERE'S MY POWERPOINT VIEWER GONE??

Hi,
As it is/was a freebie, try to remove it using Control Panel > Add/remove.
If it goes then download, update and run Ccleaner (or similar) to get rid of all traces then download the Viewer again from:
http://tinyurl.com/5y728
If it will not uninstall from Add/remove then Ccleaner has an Uninstaller in Tools, try that.
dave
As a third effort, try downloading and installing over your existing(?) version.

Message was edited by: dave.m
Old 02-05-2007, 20:35
Forum Member

Thanks for the prompt reply. Downloaded PP viewer again to desktop. Ran it and it actually appeared for a second or two, then.... nothing. Hit start/all progs/ Microsoft PP 2003 and a box appeared with; "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Enter alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'PPVIEWER.MSI'
Clicked out of that and got; "ERROR 1706. Installation package for the product Microsoft PP viewer cannot be found. Try the installation again using (I think it said 'equivalent') copy of instalation package PPVIEWER.MSI. And when i clicked out of that I had in red; FATAL ERROR IN ISTALLATION... I think. It was a lot of boxes to remember!
I am completely and utterly stumped. No idea what happened to it in the first place!!
The downloaded file still sits on my desktop. If i try to install again... go to top and re-read "The feature you are"...etc etc
Regards.
Old 02-05-2007, 20:55
Expert Member

Did you try to uninstall using either of the methods I suggested before downloading again?
I think you will have to clear out every trace of the previous copy before trying to download again. This is all I could find on the M$ site:
To remove this download:

1. On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. In the list of currently installed programs, select Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 and then click Remove or Add/Remove. If a dialog box appears, follow the instructions to remove the program.
4. Click Yes or OK to confirm that you want to remove the program.

To remove the download file itself, delete the file PPViewer.exe.

If that does not solve the problem, then I hope someone else can offer further advice because I am stumped.
dave
Old 02-05-2007, 22:11
Expert Member

I don't know if it is coincidence but I have just had all the same warning messages as you stated but I was trying to access a different program on my PC. So I went to Allprograms and right clicked on it and clicked Delete. It asked if I wanted to send to Recycle bin and I clicked OK.
Then I emptied the bin and it was gone from my lists.
Not sure if it will work for your problem but try it.
dave
Old 03-05-2007, 15:47
Forum Member

First off Dave thanks so much for your replies.
Although PP viewer was in Start/ all progs list, it wasn't in add/ remove progs. The reason me-thinks is because it's part and parcel of Works 8. After downloading a new version of PP viewer 2003, it then appeared as a stand alone prog in it's own right in add/remove progs. As I still had the problem, I removed it. Hope your following this?
I then totally removed Works 8, went to MSN and downloaded the new FREE security updated version of Works 8. All 220MB of it. Before running it I reinstalled my copy of Works 8 so the new version could interact with it and do what it does to update it. BINGO!! PP viewer reappeared in the programme list of Works 8. After checking add/remove it still doesn't appear as a stand alone prog. Which I think proves my point that it's part and parcel of Works 8.
Once again thank you for your Pointers and help.
Regards.
Old 03-05-2007, 15:51
Expert Member

Wow! What a complicated bit of programming?
Pleased to hear that you are now sorted, thanks for letting us know.
dave
Closed Thread