Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > From the pages of Computeractive
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 21:23
Expert Member

Default ComputerActive Free Downloads.

It is almost 3 days since the latest CA Mag hit the news stands, and six days since the subscribers got their early release issues.
In that time there has not been a single post about a problem with the free download. (Must be a first).
Could it be that the download links are working perfectly and everyone is paying attention to the instructions (for a change), OR is it because no-one wants the Parental Control software?

Chris,
Would be interested to read of the download numbers when you get hold of them from Norman.
dave
Old 03-05-2008, 21:41

Default Re: ComputerActive Free Downloads.

As I've said quite a few times, most of the downloads present no problems. You'd also be surprised how popular they are - far more than a full commercial app on, say, vnunet.com. It's weird. Put it in the magazine, it receives tens (and often hundreds) of thousands of downloads in a couple of weeks. Put a commercial full app on vnunet.com and it struggles to reach 10,000!

Remember that the forum only attracts a very small number of the CA readership. Also, people never report successful or 'happy' issues, only problems, download errors or installation issues.

I never receive emails from readers saying 'thanks for that superb download' even when we gave away AVG Pro 7.5 or the full current (and still current!) Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5

Chris/vnunet.com
Old 03-05-2008, 22:00
Expert Member

>>people never report successful or 'happy' issues, only problems, download errors or installation issues.

That was my tongue-in-cheek comment about them all paying attention to the instructions for a change.
How often in then past has it been human error that has caused all the gripes and groans about the software being 'no good'.
It would be interesting to see how many downloads of the last few offers have been taken. It would give some idea of the success of the program.
dave
Old 29-05-2008, 15:53

I scan the free downloads every day in the lookout for new and exciting software, and have never had any trouble with the sponsored downloads since they started. Some of the software I have found has "saved my life" in certain situations. I've found some absolute gems I would otherwise not have found

I would also have never delved into Linux had it not been for the simple explanations.

Thanks

Steve
Old 30-05-2008, 16:32

Hi, as you are doing so well with the free Downloads can you tell me how to download the "PC Security & Privacy booklet" that came in my latest Computeractive magazine?
I can read it on the computer but I cannot download it, has anyone else had any problems with it?
Closed Thread