Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Other Hardware
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2002, 02:13

Default FT000001 files

I am running Windows ME on a 1.4 AMD Athlon computer.

For reasons which I cannot fathom, I am unable to open Outlook Express and most other programmes. Files are showing as FT000001 types.

Does anyone have a clue what these are and what I can do to sort this out. I've tried reloading Windows ME, but the I keep getting an error message that the CD in the drive is invalid.

The only programmes I can open are Internet Explorer and, fortunately, my anti-virus software, but I have to follow a convoluted route to open these. If I double click on them, nothing happens. None of the shortcuts I've dragged down to the taskbar will open either.

It appears that anything that is an .exe file is being recognised as one of these FT000001 files and I can't open them. I've tried changing them in Windows Explorer, by going to File Types, then New, and putting in EXE, but all I get is a message saying that EXE files are FT000001 files.

I would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Jan
Buckhurst Hill
Essex
Closed Thread