Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Printers, scanners and cameras
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 26-05-2008, 14:18

Default Hitachi Camcorder

Hiya, I need some help as this is really doing my head in!
several years ago I bought a Hitachi DZ-MV550E dvd camcorder but have hardly used it until recently, This is mainly due to me recording my sons wedding and my daughters wedding onto it. I am finalising the disc as it tells me to before being able to view anything on the pc. The discs are finalised but its not letting me do anything with them. The files produced when finalised are Video_TS files and I cant open them with any software that I have, it is also causing the programes to crash, I have tried all this on 2 seperate laptops and getting the same problems with both! I am getting an error message through DVD-MovieAlbum (The software that came with the camcorder) of: The Disc in drive F: can not be used. (format type:UDF1.5)......Set AV Format (UDF2.0) 4.7GB DVD-RAM disc to the DVD-RAM drive. The other software that comes with it:Sonic MyDVD says that the file type is not able to be read. I could really do with some help as the images on the camcorder are incredibly important to me, not only because of my sons wedding, but they also contain many images of my wife who passed away last month..... any help would be really appreciated on this. Many thanks
Old 26-05-2008, 14:34

Default Re: Hitachi Camcorder

Panic ye not . Video _ts are standard dvd files . Now most editing software will handle them. First can you confirm this is on a dvd disc either - or + R or RW and not ram. If it is ram then you need to have a drive that will read Ram .
Hpoefully it is - or plus in which case what do youintend to do with it ie just copy it or edit it .Let me know and apart from the ram issue all will get sorted
Old 26-05-2008, 17:07

hi, yeah its on a dvd-r 1.4G disc, i would like to try and edit off some of the rubbish but I would also like to make several back-ups of the footage. The software I am using doesnt like it very much despite the fact that it came with it. Whats with the error message though concerning the format of the disk?
Old 26-05-2008, 18:26

Ok so the disc is good the error message not sure about.Can you rip the disc to your hard drive so you have a safe copy to work with . By several backups do you mean of the dvd as it is or backups after you've edited/.Either way if you dont have software use Imgburn its free and will either just make a disc image of the dvd or and also burn it if required http://www.imgburn.com/

To edit if you dont want to purchase anything then Video redo though not free has afully working trial with no logos or owt to spoilit .You can use this to edit the bits out and burn as well http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm This is only a workaround to save purchasing software for a one off job
Old 26-05-2008, 18:41

the disc itself is fine as far as I can see. I can copy the vid_ts file direct to the HD without problems but I have one of the vid_ts files at about 500meg and then about 5 with significantly less, i imagine this is normal! I want to copy the dvd both as a complete back-up in case i mess this whole thing up but also for when and if i can manage to make any differences. many thanks for your suggestions with the softwares, i will give them a go and thank you for your help this far.
Old 26-05-2008, 22:23

Fine to copy as is just use imgburn select create image file from disc then whenits done select create disc from imagee file and you'll have your backup disc
Closed Thread