Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > From the pages of Computeractive
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 26-06-2008, 17:36
Expert Member

Default Computeractive Downloads.

Any Editorial staff answer this?
I went to CA Downloads and searched for Foxit Reader which came up with 48 options in the downloads tab and it was listed at No. 1.
I clicked on it and went to the Foxit download:
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnun...xit-pdf-reader
At the top of the page is the string:
Computeractive > Download Reviews > Desktop Tools.

Just to try something I then went to CA Downloads Home page and chased down through the Desktop Tab. In five pages I could not find a mention nor a download for Foxit Reader.
Am I missing something?

Is it any wonder that when trying to help someone and post a link to a download, it is easier to give them a link to MajorGeeks or FileHippo? Yet we get pulled over the coals for it and posts are edited.

Sort out the Download by grouping and indexing , then we will use the links to offer advice.

dave
Old 26-06-2008, 19:58

Default Re: Computeractive Downloads.

Dave, remember there's a difference between vnunet.com/downloads and computeractive.co.uk/downloads (vnunet.com is based on an updated platform, with a better search facility). CA's will be improved with the re-design.

Also, if you know what you want, as you've found, it's dead easy to find. As you said, it is the first option in your search results. Why do people need to search through 'Desktop Tools' to find the tool they want? They simply search. No-one goes to download.com and searches through the categories - there are far too many products in each. A quick search does the trick.

There is no excuse for listing a Majorgeeks or FileHippo or any other link, simply as you claim it's 'hard' to find. No way. Not at all.

If you want to give someone a link to Foxit PDF Reader, it would take you <2 minutes. I bet it would take as long to go to FileHippo and find the correct link.

Chris/vnunet.com
Old 27-06-2008, 08:30
Expert Member

>
> If you want to give someone a link to Foxit PDF
> Reader, it would take you <2 minutes. I bet it would
> take as long to go to FileHippo and find the correct
> link.
>
> Chris/vnunet.com

Chris,

That`s a load of tosh! If you go to the filehippo site there is no searching whatsoever. It is on the site page which loads, under Office and News, bottom left.

However, I do agree that vnunet downloads are good as they do have a date against Latest Downloads and I have found they identify some new updates to programmes before filehippo does.
I`m trying to use it more but still get drawn back to filehippo.

rogerman
Old 27-06-2008, 10:49

I meant that if someone wants to find a download, a quick search will locate. That's how most commercial download sites work. Most of them (download.com, tucows.com) have so many downloads, you can't trawl through their categories searching for the app you want, you have to search.

FileHippo is one of the least updated downloads site on the market, which is why it's easy to find apps through categories. They only put up about 5 a day, max.

At vnunet.com you'll find a far wider selection of new and updated apps and I'm fairly proud of the type of apps we get online every day.

I don't think we could ever go down the FileHippo approach on vnunet.com, due to the number of apps we're putting online, but perhaps the redesigned Computeractive site could have an option where you can see new apps per category (av, anti-spyware etc). However, that's out of my hands.

Later this year you'll see a brand new Downloads site from us which is beyond the current vnunet.com/downloads experience. Remember I asked about beta-testing an application that complimented this new service?

Chris/vnunet.com
Old 27-06-2008, 10:57
Expert Member

Chris,

It might seem like asking a silly question but why cannot CA`s download link direct people to vnunet`s download site when it is clicked on?
Why be independant of vnunet when basically you post the same downloads anyway but in a different way?

rogerman
Old 27-06-2008, 11:37
Expert Member

Chris,
I see the difference between CA and VNU downloads sections, VNU is much better but a lot of newbies who are on the site from reading CA will only be on the CA version and will not be linked to the VNU downloads.
What is very convenient about Filehippo is where we have a situation where someone has incorrectly removed an earlier version of a program and left a load of strings which are preventing a later version being installed, linking them to Hippo they can easily download the earlier version again.
eg. http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jspa...7478&tstart=30
As CA and VNU always show the latest updated version of downloads, it would take a lot of digging to try to find an earlier version download.

dave
Old 27-06-2008, 15:57

Rogerman, I have little to do with CA directly. The Computeractive 'latest downloads' are a combination of hand-selected vnunet.com downloads, plus a Computeractive-specific download, reviewed by Tim Smith.

Not sure of the plans for the re-designed CA website. It is happening though, as we speak. Paul Allen is the best person to talk about future website plans etc etc.

vnunet.com is a completely separate entity from CA and, as I mentioned above, will receive a massive downloads centric boost later in the year. I'll try and incorporate some FileHippo category-based previews in the new design. Try!

In fact, I'm working on that design next week.

Chris/vnunet.com
Old 27-06-2008, 16:26
Expert Member

Chris, Just on a point I raised about earlier versions, could it be possible in the alterations that are planned to leave a link to the last version as well as linking to the latest version. It could be of benefit to some as shown in the thread I linked to in my last post (above).
dave
Old 27-06-2008, 20:13

Dave, yes, that's planned. Also, they will be downloadable from our servers, too.

Chris/vnunet.com
Old 30-06-2008, 16:23

Hi Dave
I'm a little unclear as to what the problem is here, you searched for the download and it came up as the number 1 option. Surefly that's job done :-)
Granted you had to go through several pages on the Desktop Tools section but that's because they are ordered by the date they were posted. As far as I'm aware that's true of all download sites that categorise downloads. Why sift through a category when the search works? Or, to put it another way, what is it that the other sites do with their categories that we don't?
I don't see why the category list is a problem when sending people links as you've posted the link in your message. If you want a shorter link you can just type www.computeractive.co.uk/2146435. IMO that's even easier that something like tinyurl because it makes more sense to a human rather than a jumble of letters and numbers.
Kind regards
Tim
Closed Thread