Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Interactive > The off-topic forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 17-01-2010, 15:20
Forum Member

Default vauxhall vectra

Please can anyone tell me what this fault is, showing on the bottom right of my dash panel is a icon of an engine block, Car details- Vectra,reg52, petrol,
1800hp.
Old 17-01-2010, 15:33
Expert Member

From the AA Warning Lights list:
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...ng_lights.html

Engine warning light

Engine management warning light

Illuminates when the ignition is switched on. It should extinguish as soon as the engine starts.

If it illuminates with the engine running, it indicates a malfunction with the engine management system. Have this checked as soon as possible.

If it flashes when driving, reduce the vehicle speed immediately until the light illuminates constantly. If it continues to flash, avoid heavy acceleration and high engine speed, stop the vehicle and have it checked immediately.

On some vehicles this light may be red – again stop the vehicle and seek assistance.

If it is safe to do so, try stopping the vehicle, switching off the engine, wait two minutes, then restarting the engine to reset the engine management system.

With the light illuminated, the vehicle is still safe to drive as long as no other faults are apparent with the engine. Have the vehicle checked by a dealer or garage as soon as possible to avoid any damage being caused to the catalytic converter.
Old 17-01-2010, 15:33

It could be numinous reasons its the engine management light,

The local garage would be able to do a diagnostic test and tel you what the fault is,
Old 17-01-2010, 15:44
Expert Member

The last two times that happened (two different Astras), in my case it was the EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recycle) which I was told would eventually cut the engine off if it was not repaired. You need to take it to the dealer for computer diagnosis.
Old 17-01-2010, 15:52
Forum Member

Default vauxhall vectra

Thank you davem,had tried stopping car and waiting but it is still showing,
my thanks to you fletch for your advice,will take it to garage.
Old 17-01-2010, 15:55
Forum Member

Default vauxhall vectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimanco View Post
The last two times that happened (two different Astras), in my case it was the EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recycle) which I was told would eventually cut the engine off if it was not repaired. You need to take it to the dealer for computer diagnosis.
Thank you calimanco, will do
Old 17-01-2010, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracular View Post
Please can anyone tell me what this fault is, showing on the bottom right of my dash panel is a icon of an engine block, Car details- Vectra,reg52, petrol,
1800hp.
Further to what's already been said, it may be a poor/loose connection on one of the sensors feeding the ecu, so it's worth a look under the bonnet and manually checking for loose/poor connections.
After checking for any loose/poor connections you could then see if the ecu will reset by disconnecting the battery for about 30 mins and then reconnecting.
If the Vectra had been a year or two younger you could have probably read the codes yourself with a multimeter and paper clip.
Old 17-01-2010, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimanco View Post
Is there anything this man does not know

Jack
Old 17-01-2010, 19:12
Forum Member

i had it on mine the ecu whent bits up one said £1000 lucky me found a shop got the ecu £470 . but why do they fit them on top of the engine in the heat and wet?
Old 18-01-2010, 11:27
Forum Member

Default vauxhall vectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.broadbent View Post
Further to what's already been said, it may be a poor/loose connection on one of the sensors feeding the ecu, so it's worth a look under the bonnet and manually checking for loose/poor connections.
After checking for any loose/poor connections you could then see if the ecu will reset by disconnecting the battery for about 30 mins and then reconnecting.
If the Vectra had been a year or two younger you could have probably read the codes yourself with a multimeter and paper clip.
Tried your first suggestion no luck but bingo your tip for to disconnect battery worked, keeping my fingers crossed.My greatfull thanks to all those who have replied to my post.
Closed Thread