Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Other software
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 26-05-2010, 17:29
Forum Member

Default Itunes installer encountered errors

I have a new Ipod touch and wish to upload music files to it. I downloaded Itunes but for the life of me can't get it to install. I have been through every suggested solution on the apple support site to no avail. Anyone else had a similar problem?
Message is "The installer encountered errors before Itunes could be configured. Your system has not been modified. To retry these operations at a later time, please run the installer again"
I am using Windows 7.
Old 26-05-2010, 18:32
Forum Member

Old 26-05-2010, 22:15
Forum Member

It's 32 bit, read the links you provided been through most of those fixes.
Not used Windows install clean up because I have no Apple products installed.
I'm surely missing something simple.
Old 27-05-2010, 13:09
Guru

Do you already have quicktime installed which iTunes needs?

iTunes will install it if its not present but try downloading and installing quicktime on its own ... I fixed a similar problem for a friend by having to install quicktime separately ...
iTunes wouldn't install and then neither would quicktime on its own so in the end I had to create a new user account, install quicktime by itself, chose "for all users" when asked and then went back into the original user account to try iTunes once more ... it installed without a hitch.

Once I knew iTunes had installed I deleted the new user account that I'd created.

I'd also try downloading iTunes again, don't keep trying the same setup file that you saved incase for some reason its corrupt.

*If you have UAC enabled I'd try with it disabled:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Last edited by anne r; 27-05-2010 at 13:11.
Old 27-05-2010, 15:58
Forum Member

With all my recent problems think my computer has a mind of it's own.
Followed your instructions by creating another account then installing quick time on it's own, however there was no option to choose "for all users" during set up.
Disabled UAC also then tried installing ITunes but still getting the same error message.
Old 28-05-2010, 14:05
Guru

Make sure you have all windows updates up to date ... particulary those for the OS, and the .net framework

Try deleting all temp files .

Can you get quicktime to install ... is it there in your own original user account?

Another suggestion I remember seeing is to disable your anti virus app and any other real time protection ... worked for some but not everyone.

Did you/have you ..tried installing itunes in a new user account to see if this is specific to your own account or a system wide problem?

You don't have Safari installed do you?

I think it might be worth you checking out the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility just incase you find a itunes has partly installed from your first attempt.
Old 28-05-2010, 16:19
Forum Member

Seems to be a hell of a lot of trouble to go to just to get Itunes, I mean what's that all about.
I will try a few more of your suggestions, I don't have Safari working with IE8 and updates are up to date.
Old 28-05-2010, 17:12
Forum Member

No luck, can't believe I'm destined to have no music etc. on my Ipod touch.
HELP!!!
Old 28-05-2010, 21:54
Guru

Last suggestions that I can think of:

Try right clicking on the setup file and choose "run as administrator".
Try an older version of iTunes insted of the latest.
(google search should find a site with other versions, such as oldapps.com or download.com)

actually found this for you; (my current version is 9.0.3)

http://www.oldapps.com/

In the support article here from Apple, I know you have already tried most suggestions but start again and go through the steps just to know you've done it ... I noted here it says to restart the pc after cleaning the temp files, you never know
Also, have a think about any programs you have had running while you've attempted the install ... even the likes of msn, close and exit them just incase something is stopping the installation.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926

Its an absolute nightmare I know ... I feel so sorry for people who have forked out and can't even install the dam program on new decent computers such as your own.
Or they update to a newer version of iTunes and suddenly lose their library!
I personally wait for ages before updating to a newer version and keep declining the update ... until I have a good search about to check there have been no major problems.

If you still get nowhere then I don't know if you're interested but there are alternatives if you want to give them a go ???

See here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-...ithout-itunes/

I have heard of many using mediamonkey but can't advise or comment on it personally as I've not used it ever.

If you do have a go let's know how you get on Colin.
Good luck!

Anne

Last edited by anne r; 28-05-2010 at 21:58.
Old 28-05-2010, 22:22
Forum Member

I'll try an older version of Itunes. I was under the impression Media Monkey works with the Ipod and Iphone but not with the Touch. Beginning to think this might be a problemwith Windows 7 because I have several friends with XP who said they had no problems.
Closed Thread