Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Windows 7
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 21-08-2010, 19:32

Default 'Error in Microsoft Office Word previewer'

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and Office 2007 Professional. When I go into Word and 'Open' and then scroll through to the folder that I want to look at to find a document, and then hover over a title that I think I want to look at in the Preview Pane on the right, if the document selected is a Word document of any sort, I get a message that 'the document can't be previewed because there is an error in the Micrsoft Office Word previewer'. I can see previews of, for example, .PDF documents. I have chased this trivial problem round the houses and got nowhere. Microsoft have offered a couple of fixes in their Forum but they don't work. Any ideas please?
Dick Blakemore
Old 21-08-2010, 19:36
Banned

do you have all the office updates?

you can include office in with the windows updater... otherwise - I'd un/reinstall office for a start
Old 21-08-2010, 19:53

Dick

With Word closed, depress the Ctrl key and start Word by your usual method. You will see a warning advising that the Ctrl is being used and do you want to start in Safe Mode, Click Yes.

Now try to preview the documents.
Old 22-08-2010, 19:41

Default Error on Microsoft Office Word previewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel View Post
Dick

With Word closed, depress the Ctrl key and start Word by your usual method. You will see a warning advising that the Ctrl is being used and do you want to start in Safe Mode, Click Yes.

Now try to preview the documents.
Thank you Steel, it works a treat in Safe Mode. Now how do I get the same result in 'Unsafe' mode?
Old 22-08-2010, 19:52

It sounds like you have an 'Add in' that is conflicting and causing the Previewer to fail.

Have a look at this link -->> Enable or disable add-ins in Office programs and have a good read of the the items that relate to Word, and particularly the section 'Turn off or manage the installed add-ins'.

Once you have disabled the an identified Add in, hopefully your issue will be resolved.
You may have to exit and restart Word for the effects, if any, to work.

I hope this is of some help to you.
Old 22-08-2010, 20:19

Default Error in Microsoft Office Word previewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACtheTROLL View Post
do you have all the office updates?

you can include office in with the windows updater... otherwise - I'd un/reinstall office for a start
I have re-installed Office 2007 yesterday and today Windows Update downloaded 3 updates which featured the word 'previewer' in their titles. However it seems to have made no difference to the problem.
Old 22-08-2010, 21:32
Banned

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhhhhhhh!

when you say of any sort
what is word set to save as docx or doc ... what were the ones without preview created as and with ... 2007

I don't have 2007 installed at home ... I haven't noticed it at work

steel - is this preview option part of office ... or is it an add in from elsewhere?
Old 22-08-2010, 22:27

The preview is part of the opening a new document procedure from within Word 2003, 2007 & 2010.

Old 23-08-2010, 00:26
Banned

I always work from my documents - double click ... always have - never use file | open

and all my folders are in detail view ... and at the moment my lappy is running linux

lol - the things you miss

I assume it's worked at sometime?

when you do the install - the common office options tend to be defaulted - and under common headings - 1 click could clear a preview

I'll be able to have a look at mine tomorrow - beddy byes now
Old 25-08-2010, 18:04

Default Error in Microsoft Office word previewer

I have looked at the add-ins that are active and there is one to do with Omnipage 15, 1 to do with Outlook and the third one entitled Microsoft Office Live Add-in; I have disabled that add-in but still no difference. In answer to another point I generally save files in .doc format (not .docx etc) but I can preview files in .pdf format and .jpg.

I have to admit that the value of the preview system is not high, but it is mainly that I don't like things that don't work! I can turn it off in the Word|Open screen and then I don't see it if that is the only asnwer!

Dick Blakemore
Closed Thread