Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Windows Vista, XP and earlier
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 21-02-2011, 17:33

Default spontaneous switching to sleep mode

I run vista home premium on a laptop. At between 20secs and 2mins after switching on the computer will switch off. On switching on again the start up continues where it left off having inputted the password again. This has occasionally ocurred twice but most times all is ok and I have no further problem.
Old 22-02-2011, 11:35
Expert Member

hi,,, how old is the pc and is it a laptop or a desktop,,, it could be a heat thing going on maybe,,, thermal overload,, but this is usually after a period of up time,, ie ,,, the pc needs cleaning out of dust and crud and after an amount of up time its got hotter and shuts down,,, or as the case with a lot of laptops,, your using it on a soft furnished surface and the vents are covered allowing no clean cool air in etc.
i use a can of compressed air and a makup brush to clean out my pc's roughly every 6 months,,, also only clean it when off and completely stone cold, usually first thing before turning it on.
When working inside any desktop pc's unplug the power lead and ground yourself or ware an anti static wrist band.
Also Take a look in event viewer to see if you can get more info on the issue just after a shut down occurs,,,
click start orb>type ,,, event viewer in to search box and hit enter>in summary of admin events look in the critical and error sections for the last hour and see what you have in there,, copy and paste them back here if you like or google them.
good luck.
Old 22-02-2011, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockport12 View Post
I run vista home premium on a laptop.
It's a laptop Ian.
Old 22-02-2011, 18:59
Expert Member

lol, so it is mate,,,, cheers Bob.
Old 23-02-2011, 12:07

Default spontaneous switching off

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockport12 View Post
I run vista home premium on a laptop. At between 20secs and 2mins after switching on the computer will switch off. On switching on again the start up continues where it left off having inputted the password again. This has occasionally ocurred twice but most times all is ok and I have no further problem.
Thanks for the info. Will try these things first. Keeping the fan clear this am seems to have switched on with no interruptions.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:36

Thanks marbles 65. On switching on today after briefly showing the Bars and "microsoft corporation" screen the screen went blank and switched off. All was ok on resuming start up proceeded normally.
Event viewer showed the following under error 1 hr Cap12 1, Dhcpclient 2,
7022 control system 1, 7023 control system 1. ( at 24hr cap12 2, dhcp3, 7022 2 and 7023 1.) Nothing under critical.
Is all this any help in identifying my problem?
Old 24-02-2011, 17:42
Expert Member

looks like Cap12 is something to do with an updator maybe and it could not do what it was trying to do,,ie,, check for updates.
doubt very much this will crash the pc though.
Dhcp client probably means your compy was not assigned a network address from the router,,,,
so it looks like on start up of the pc,, something is set to look for updates and fails because the network card in your pc has not connected to the router yet,,, its ok as it will try again when the connection is made.
7022 and 7023 are service control manager failed/hung on start errors.
Usual remedy for this is to find whats looking for the update and set it to delay at the start up,, or just ignore it.
But as stated i doubt this is anything to do with the machine turning off/crashing.
Have you updated or installed any drivers or hardware lately on the pc ?

Last edited by Marbles65; 24-02-2011 at 17:46.
Old 25-02-2011, 12:17

Thanks for the reply and interest. Switched on ok twice today without a problem. Yesterday I updated OPEN OFFICE to the latest version. I wonder if this might even help the start up problem. Will see what happens and report in a few days.
Old 25-02-2011, 20:47
Expert Member

hi,,, run a program like who crashed to try find whats zonking windows.
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/WhoCrashed.shtml
good luck.
Closed Thread