Simple clear advice in plain English

Search

Search computeractive.co.uk

Go Back   Forums > Readers to the Rescue > Windows 7
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 14-07-2012, 21:13
Forum Member

Default Choosing between HP, Dell or Zoostorm machines, Help Please.

Not sure if this is the right place or not (and please move if it's not) but I'm looking at replacing my Dell Dimension with Vista for something with W 7. I only need the tower, I've already checked that both monitor and printer are compatible with W 7 and my budget is £350.

I only need it for email, internet plus office work, don't do games unless you count spider solitaire and jigsaws so don't need anything fancy.

I'm looking at something like the HP Pavilion p6-2120 ae,(4GB/1TB)
the Dell Inspiron 620 (4GB/500GB) and the
Zoostorm G620 (8GB/1TB. All are Intel Pentium with W 7 Home Premium

Any comments or reviews of those or any other suggestions very welcome as I've only searched the net and am getting thoroughly confused; I'm not able to get in to somewhere like PC World as it's a bit of a trek (we're out in the sticks) although I can get the Dell or Zoostorm from Argos or delivered.
Old 14-07-2012, 21:26

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CQ2740EA-Des...97474&sr=1-140

Should be 350, now 279 and has everything you need and free delivery.

Your budget is 350, so you have 70 for beer.....
Old 14-07-2012, 21:31

Windows 8 is due out in October, might it be worth waiting for that?

If you do plan to buy it now, then you dont really need 8Gb of memory or 1Tb of hard disk so if you want to save money then 4Gb memory and 500Gb hard disk will be fine (though extra memory is always good for the future).

The HP, and I think the Zoostrom, come with a Pentium G620 CPU, but you may be better going for an Intel i3 or even i5 CPU as they have more power for the future. (the G620 is not bad as it uses the same technology as the i3 and i5, but the i3 and i5 have more cache and so on making them faster).

I found a Dell Dimension 620 MT on their web site with a i3 CPU, 4Gb of memory and 1Tb hard drive for £329 (including VAT and delivery) which seems pretty good to me.
Old 14-07-2012, 21:38

Personally I still think get windows 7 while you still can. Windows 8 is a large jump, and you can always buy the upgrade cheap until jan 2013, that way you can have the best of both worlds.

Ask anybody who bought vista whether they wished they still had xp or have waited for windows 7.

Watch this space, businesses will not move to windows 8. The majority of them are still on windows xp, and only now are migrating to windows 7. Windows 7 will be the new xp.

Last edited by Mr Smooth; 14-07-2012 at 21:40.
Old 14-07-2012, 22:56
Forum Member

i bought my son a zoostorm computer great machine only problem with it was the psu was under powered, his flight sim game used to crash, ive just replaced the psu with a more powerful one now games run fine
Old 14-07-2012, 23:51
Forum Member

Thanks for your replies, very helpful especially about the i3 etc.

I've since been looking at some of the reviews for the Dell which are very mixed, either loved or hated and although I have liked my Dimension it's not been without its problems and sad to say, I find it very hard to understand their helpline people which is making me lean more towards the Zoostorms which are made in England; much easier to understand, sorry Dell!

MTA: I'm not one to go for cutting edge, I'd prefer to go for W7 rather than almost be a W8 guinea pig if that makes sense.

Last edited by dotty; 15-07-2012 at 00:00.
Old 15-07-2012, 07:52
Expert Member

I just bought a Zoostorm and am running XP and Linux on it.

Windows 7 is the way to go with a new system (XP is practically unavailable an has SATA hurdles). Other than being part of the "latest thing" crowd I can think of no logical reason for anyone to experiment with Windows 8.

I said Vista was a stopgap and people should avoid and wait for 7.

I'm even more sure of recommending Windows 8 avoidance.

Bob
Old 15-07-2012, 10:58
Forum Member

I have a Zoostorm, mainly because it is assembled in this country from standard parts.
Hence no silly special parts needed if things do go wrong.
Old 19-07-2012, 10:22
Forum Member

Thanks for your replies.

Well after a frustrating day yesterday when this machine crashed at least five times during the day I've bitten the bullet and ordered this one; hope it will be a good choice and last me as long as possible.

Zoostorm - Intel Core i5 2320 3GHz - 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD - DVD Writer
- Windows 7 Home Premium. £398 from e.buyer.

Wish me luck!
Old 19-07-2012, 11:11
Forum Member

A decent choice with a good spec for the price.
If you know someone who can strip down and re-build your old machine it could be a good reserve.
Closed Thread